While many motorists are aware of the importance of servicing their cars ahead of the road trip they may have scheduled for December, few know that a post-holiday check is just as vital.
Here are some must-dos for drivers aiming to keep their cars in shape:
- Check on the date of your next big service. Failure to maintain a vehicle can lead to costly repairs and affect resale value.
- Top up fluids like oil and water, as these may have been affected by your long journey. Fluids ensure the proper functioning of a car and contribute to better fuel economy and longevity, making this an important check.
- Check on faults you may have become aware of during your drive, like windscreen chips or faulty windscreen wipers.
- Make sure that headlights and brake lights are still in good working order.
- Examine the brakes to ascertain how much capacity is left, and when you will need to replace them.
- A long drive may have reduced tyre tread. Check tyres to ensure they are in good condition, or whether they need to be balanced or aligned.
- Give the car a good clean so that you can inspect it for damage.
- While you’re at it, make sure all paperwork is in order: are your license and insurance up to date, for instance?