Between the third wave, loadshedding and riots, it’s hard to remember that 2021 wasn’t all bad. Before you get ready to slam the door on the year, let’s reflect on some of the wonderful things that happened – because, believe it or not, there were plenty. Here are our favourites:
- Tatjana Schoenmaker broke a world record to win gold in the 100m breaststroke in the Tokyo Olympics.
- Nine of South Africa’s universities made it onto the list of the world’s best, according to the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy.
- Two Cape Town restaurants, La Colombe and FYN, were named amongst the Top 100 on the World’s Top 50 Restaurants.
- Professor Thuli Madonsela, former public protector, was a Knight of the Legion of Honour by France’s president, Emmanual Macron.
- Nine of South Africa’s rugby players were named amongst the world’s 50 most influential people in the sport, according to Stuff magazine.
- Local documentary ‘My Octopus Teacher’ was nominated for an Oscar award.
For more feel-good stories and news of our heartwarming achievements, head to Goodthingsguy.com.
SA flag photo: flowcomm on flickr